Key figures — as of 2026-08-18: 204 new homes under construction in Portimão's Bairro Coca Maravilhas — the largest public housing project in the municipality's history; total investment €27,702,223.38; contract signed 6 August 2026, with 360 days to completion; funded through the PRR's Programa 1.º Direito; eligibility rules require 5+ years of continuous, registered residence in the concelho and a per-capita net income capped at 1.5× the IAS (Indexante dos Apoios Sociais).
A €27.7 Million Answer to a Housing Squeeze
Portimão's town hall has consigned the construction of 204 public housing units in the Bairro Coca Maravilhas, a total investment of €27,702,223.38 that the municipality says is the largest public housing project ever carried out in the concelho. The contract was signed on Thursday 6 August at the Paços do Concelho, with works expected to run for 360 days.
The scheme covers eight buildings and their access roads; seven of the buildings will be residential, with four to five storeys above ground level, split into 23 one-bedroom (T1), 140 two-bedroom (T2) and 41 three-bedroom (T3) apartments, while the eighth building will house a community centre with municipal services for residents. The works were awarded to the Rui Vilaça Pinheiro, Lda. / J.C.C.A., Lda. consortium and are financed through the Recovery and Resilience Plan (PRR), via the Programa 1.º Direito — the national scheme for supporting access to housing.
Mayor Álvaro Bila didn't undersell it. "This is the most demanding commitment this municipality has taken on regarding housing, and it is also the most necessary… We're talking about 204 Portimão families who today cannot afford a home on the rental market and who will now have a decent home, with proper conditions and an affordable rent," he said, adding that this is the kind of investment that changes lives.
The units sit inside Portimão's Estratégia Local de Habitação, and this is just phase one — a parallel batch of homes at Cabeço do Mocho was planned as part of the same original tender round.
Who Actually Gets a Key
This is where the story gets more complicated for anyone who moved to the Algarve in the last few years. When Portimão first opened applications for these units back in 2023 (covering both Coca Maravilhas and the Cabeço do Mocho site, 414 homes combined), the rules were explicit. Applicants had to be national or foreign citizens holding a valid permanent residence title, aged 18 or over, resident in the Portimão concelho for five years or more without interruption and registered on the electoral roll (recenseados) there, with monthly net income per capita no higher than 1.5 times the IAS.
The municipality's own FAQ leaves no ambiguity about the residency clock. The regulation makes "residência em regime de permanência, há pelo menos cinco anos no concelho de Portimão" a mandatory requirement — permanent residence in the concelho for at least five years. It doesn't matter whether you're Portuguese or foreign; the clock is the same. What matters is that it starts from continuous, registered presence in Portimão specifically, not Portugal generally.
Demand was already intense before a single wall went up. By the time the council extended the application deadline in late 2023, it had already received 378 applications for the 414 planned units across both sites.
The Foreign-Resident Problem
Foreigners aren't excluded on paper — the rule is nationality-neutral. In practice, though, it filters out most recent arrivals by design, and that includes a large share of the D7 retirees, remote workers and lower-income EU citizens who've settled in the Algarve over the past three or four years. Someone who registered as a Portimão resident in 2022 won't hit the five-year threshold until 2027 at the earliest — and that's before accounting for the "ininterruptamente" (uninterrupted) requirement, which can reset the clock if someone's registration lapses during a permit renewal or a temporary move.
GrowIN's read: with 378 applications already lodged for 414 units before construction even began, and a five-year residency floor baked into the rules, a foreigner who arrived in Portimão today would need to wait until at least 2031 to file a qualifying application — well past the point these 204 homes are handed over to their first tenants. In effect, this project was decided for the current, long-settled population years before ground was broken.
"For a newly arrived foreign resident, Portimão's newest housing scheme is less an open door and more a five-year waiting room," says GrowIN Portugal Editorial.
The income cap adds a second filter that cuts across nationality lines entirely. Anyone earning above 1.5 times the IAS per household member — a threshold that moves each year with Portugal's welfare index — is excluded regardless of how long they've lived in the concelho. Foreigners who came to the Algarve on stronger salaries or pensions, even modest ones, are unlikely to clear that bar in the first place.
What to Watch Next
Two things worth tracking: whether Portimão opens a fresh application window specifically for the Coca Maravilhas units once construction nears completion (rather than relying on the 2023–24 list), and whether the national Programa 1.º Direito rules — revised under Decree-Law 44/2025 — loosen residency criteria for municipalities facing acute shortages. For now, anyone renting in the Algarve on a tight budget should treat municipal housing as a long-term option contingent on registering residency locally as early as possible, not an immediate fallback. For broader context on establishing formal residency in Portugal, see our relocation hub, and for help navigating registration and paperwork, GrowIN's services team can walk you through the practicalities.
Portimão's 204 new homes are a genuine investment in a real problem — but for most foreigners who've arrived in the last five years, they're a project to watch rather than one to apply for just yet.
Sources